
Since I would never say that my job is a piece of cake, I am always very ready to head home at the end of 9 hours. On Saturday, at 3:15 pm (45 minutes after my shift was supposed to have ended) I was heading out when I learned that my replacement--the guy that was supposed to be working my section during the evening shift--had pulled a "No call, No show". He'd sent his brother in an hour after his shift had started to inform the nurses that he wouldn't be in that day. (Can you say "self termination"??) My supervisor was on the verge of tears as she plead with me to stay for a double shift. She told me she'd spent 90% of her day on the phone trying to find replacements for various spots on different halls. I tried to sympathize with her with my comments and eyes, but I really had no intention of working a double. That was something I'd determined not to do.
"Maria, I don't even know how to work evening shift. I was trained for morning only."
"Oh it's so easy!"
Then the phone rang.
"There's your replacement, Maria..." :)
She gave me a look and then answered the phone. After I heard enough to know it was no replacement, I said, "I'm slipping away, Maria..."
I walked down the hall, all the while feeling awfully guilty. I clocked out, walked to the car, drove home, all the while thinking about how I'd feel if I were one of only two CNAs on an entire hall. Overwhelmed.
I got all the way home and decided that if I couldn't get a hold of Brant--whom I'd made plans with for that night--that I'd go back. I couldn't, so I did. After about an hour of being there, I came out of a room in search of some clean pants for a patient when a figure caught my eye leaning against the wall. Brant. He said he'd missed me by 15 minutes. :( Pooh. I had to trek to the laundry to find pants so I was glad for the excuse to walk around with him and talk for about 5 mintues. I was swamped, though, so he left quickly.
By 10 my patients were commenting on how tired I looked. By 11:15 p.m. I was home.
The next day I forewent 8 a.m. church as my mom suggested and went to a missionary farewell with Tacy at 1. Haha, we accidentally went to the wrong ward! When the lady giving the invocation mentioned the missionaries name, Tacy lost it. When the prayer was over she told me that wasn't his name and we left the church laughing. I pointed out another steeple from the parking lot and we decided to try that one. It happened to be right. :) Her friend had clearly been on the football team because everyone there looked like they were on the team. . . especially one guy. He looked straight out of the NFL. He was very tall, very muscular, had a strong jaw bone, very defined features, and carried himself as if he really did make millions every year by throwing a ball. After we'd gone up to talk to Skyler, the fare-welling missionary, we passed the NFL guy (whom I'm sure had in actuality just gotten out of high school) and Tacy whispers, "Take a look..." I didn't look right then because I hate feeding guys-like-that's egos, but I at length glanced up and he was focused somewhere over my head. No surprise. :)
As Tace and I were walking out, though, she goes, "He looked straight at you!"
"Oh no he didn't."
"Yes he did. I looked up at him and he wasn't looking at me! He was looking right past me--at you!"
"Well when I looked up he was looking over me too, so maybe that's just what he does." hahaha
So did you all like my pointless story? Haha, good.
No comments:
Post a Comment