Saturday, May 9, 2009

New Job


When you're in college, SUMMER = JOB = $$$ = If-you-want-to-come-back-to-this-lovely-institution-you-had-better-make-some

Last summer's job was a very difficult one. I worked in skilled nursing and you get everything there. Some days I felt like an under-trained nurse in an ICU. So needless to say, thus summer I wanted that to be my excuse to search for an easier job--something fun like retail.
Eventually, however, my better judgment took over and I ended up applying at an assisted living/Alzheimer's care facility, The Wentworth... and got the job.
I started orientation on Thursday and they had me work in Stratford, the Alzheimer's unit. Holy cow it was not even CLOSE to how hard my last job was!! But in all honesty, I plan on working harder than I did with the CNA I was shadowing on Thursday. I'm used to being on my feet the entire eight hours except for when I'd finally sit down to chart. We'll see how this coming week goes, however. I plan on being busier. And the administrator who hired me said he plans on having me trained as a med tech.
I didn't know what that was either, don't worry.
Basically they just train you to administer medication. When I heard this, I thought, "Sweet!"


It's definitely what an older, more mature person would call "a better career move." :) Medical schools like applicants to have as much patient exposure as possible--years if you can help it. So I feel like my time will be better spent with another summer in healthcare than in the mall. Besides, I love taking care of my patients. :)

No comments: