
Well, I must say it has been a very musical week. Last Friday we ( the Jordan High School A Capella Choir) performed at the Assembly Hall on Temple Square. The acoustics were amazing! :) But BEST of all . . . . I got to play on a $194,000 Steinway & Sons piano. Mmmmm . . . I just about melted. It was the shiniest thing you've ever seen, the longest (about 9 feet) with the purest sound and the most comfortable keys to play. It was like the piano gave you a hug every time you played it--playing came with ease. A lot of new pianos' keys are slightly harder to push down than old pianos. I have an old piano and the keys are very easily played, my friend's piano is new and they're harder to push down. This piano's keys were perfect. When you had the key pushed down about 2 mm it felt like a new piano, but the rest of the way was easy, but not too easy, or plunky. Needless to say, I did not want to leave that piano. I concluded that when I'm rich and famous, the first thing I will buy won't be a car, it won't be my fetish-pleaser, a sailboat, it will be a Steinway.

On Monday we went downtown to practice with the Utah Symphony. Wow. They're amazing. . . as well they ought to be. :) However, I'm used to accompanying the choir on I Saw Three Ships, but to hear a symphony play what Caroline and I usually play on one piano ... yeah ... they sounded much better. Our conductor was snowed in in Michigan that morning, but luckily he
arrived by nighttime because that night, we had a performance with the symphony at Weber State in Ogden. It was quite fun ... all except for when I had no idea what the words were to "Ships" because I am always accompanying--never singing. The sour thumb in the back row that doesn't know the words? Yep, that was me.As if that wasn't enough, Jordan High had its Christmas concert Tuesday night that featured all the choirs. I must admit, after all the excitement of performing for thousands, the school choir concert was a bit anticlimactic. :) The climax of Christmas for A Capella would have to be the performance on Saturday with the Utah Symphony in Abravanel Hall. Too bad Em can't go. She leaves for Texas on Thursday. But don't worry, I'll have my own climax on Saturday . . . I get to see my sister, brother-in-law, and niece!!!! --not to mention, TEXAS, my good friend from last June. ;)
1 comment:
Thanks for giving up your symphony experience to see your sister and her family. They sure appreciate it... oh and Texas can't wait to see you too...although the laying out will probably have to wait until next summer :)
Good luck on the drive!!!!
Post a Comment