
(If you're confused about this post, go two posts down and begin with the "New Job" post. That was supposed to be at the top. :) )
The third day--today--was again really hard. Instead of having a CNA to shadow and follow around, they put two of us newbies together on one section. We were again in East hall, but in a harder section than the day before. The morning was so hard! I kept asking myself if I should stay? why I got my CNA? am I really cut out for this? should I see this through? will this really get easier? --things like that. I just kept goin' and eventually got familiarized with who needed what, etc. One of the favorites today was a woman named Mary. She's a pretty lady--one of the sweetest people you'll ever meet, as well as funny. I might flatter myself for a minute by saying that I was a favorite with her as well. About halfway through the day she said, "Can I ask you a personal question?"
"Sure."
"Do you do in-home care?"
"Yeah, actually! That's my other job and it's my favorite."
"Oh good. How much do you charge an hour?"
"Well my current in-home care job pays about ______ but I don't have a set price."
"Okay, Sweetie. Well the woman would be me. Would you mind a man?"
"Nope."
"Okay, well maybe if my daughter goes out of town on a weekend of something, you could take care of me."
"I'd love to, Mary."
"All right, well how about you write down your name and number on that sheet of paper there."
I also had two older men on my floor, Newell and Ike--both sharp as tacs, both entrepreneurs. Newell's a millionaire--what he is doing in there I don't know. He could have an in-home nurse if he wanted one, but he's pretty much completely capable. Ike is very particular about how things are done and kind of intimidating, but he ended up really liking me. He has a very strong, but likable personality.
Anyway, when I came home today, my body was beat, not being used to eight hour days, and espeically three in a row where I am on my feet 98.2% of the time. So I'm going to enjoy my two days off--Sunday, Monday--and I'll be back at it again on Tuesday! Ahhhh! haha (I do, however, have a date with Addison on Tuesday so that should be a nice little ... distraction. ;) )
1 comment:
Congrats on the new job Em! Welcome to actually working :) I remember the first "shift" I had of being on my feet the whole time... it was gruling.. but it got better with time.
It sounds like they like you, if you do say so yourself (always the humble one...) and that is great. As long as you like it and feel like you are contributing and using your skills that is great!
I'm happy for you. Do you think you will be able to take any time off for camp or vacations? How many hours do you work?
Ok-I'll just call you and find out...
Love you
Post a Comment