Saturday, July 19, 2008

Scholarship Surprise


A few months ago I went to what felt like a lof of work in order to apply for a $5,000 scholarship given by my dad's work: the GE Healthcare Surgery Scholarship. I figured it was worth it, however, considering the amount. :) As it turned out I was one of only four that made the interview. So about a month and a half ago I drove out past the airport to interview for it. Yes, it was inimidating. Yes, I naturally totally forgot to mention my "most impressive" service achievement. And yes, I was up against the Valedictorian of Hillcrest (going to Stanford), two Roland Hall students (one of which was also going to Stanford, who has won national awards, and who has like one of the top 40 SAT scores in the nation).

Now clearly the scholarship is not going to me with this kind of competition, which is FINE ... except that I learned that high-end schools give big scholarships, but then you have to declare to them outside scholarships and they deduct that money from the school scholarship. DUMB! Why steal it away when it won't even help you???

Later, however, I was glad to find out that it would help the Stanford students after all and so when I found out the the Einstein (he really is! -he gets 800's on the SAT but can't remember where he lives) it wasn't a surprise nor was it unpleasant. He deserved it and it will help him. I'm excited for him and his future because I have every confidence it will be full of success. Frankly, I didn't expect even to be a runner up--and even if I was, all they've gotten in the past have been pens. Yeah, winner takes all, runners up get pens.

. . . .

But no!

Some days later I received a gift card in the mail from GE Healthcare. I opened it with my friend Brant there and we were both thinking it would be worth something like $20. Heh-heh-heh-heh-heh . . . try $200!! Sweet action I'm goin' college shopping! GE may not have paid for my schooling, but they're sure as heck paying for my kitchen and bathroom supplies! Yaya!~

No comments: