Familia querida~
Well, the missionary roller coaster just keeps rollin'...
It's interesting to see the things that change and to see the things that don't change.
Things that I've seen change:
My ability to love people immediately and deeply.
My ability in knowing how to handle people and understand them and practice patience with them.
The way we teach and contact people--it gets smoother and makes more sense.
Things that have not changed:
It's still hard to go up to people I don't know and in those couple of minutes or seconds listen to the Holy Ghost well enough to say the words they individually need that will best help them realize this is something they need--desperately--and something worth following or at least finding out about.
It's amazing how out here you're able to empathize with the Savior like 400X more than you ever could before.
It's hard to bear your soul to people. To open up your heart to them when there's a big possibility they'll cause you heartbreak at some point. But Jesus does it with us daily.
It's hard to stay focused enough to listen to the Spirit in order to know what to say or do. But Jesus did it.
You wish so badly to help people understand the importance and eternal significance of what you're offering them... and so many refuse. Jesus understood and understands so much better than we do the importance of our choices down here, etc. but he's still patient with us and still works tirelessly in order that we always have opportunities to choose the right, to grow, to progress.
It's hard to ensure you always pray mightily and with faith. But Jesus did it.
It's hard to have patience with yourself as you mess up. But Jesus must have felt what it's like for the rest of us who actually make mistakes.
You're right, Mom, when you say I've learned a lot about faith out here. And I have so incredibly far to go, but that it one of the most precious lessons my Father in Heaven has tutored me on out here--what REAL faith is. And faith cannot exceed personal righteousness, as Elder McKonkie asserts, so .... it'll continue to be a big focus. :) I've begun to understand why it is the first principle of the gospel. You can't access anything good and eternally worthwhile without it.
This week was a good one. Of course. I was surprised when it got to the end of the week and we'd reached or exceeded almost all of our weekly goals and had taught as much as we had. We only found 3 new investigators this week but taught like 4 more new people--they just wouldn't commit to a return appt because their schedules are unpredictable. But I really hope that the Lord will provide a way to teach them all again.
Great Bend was... great! haha. We taught a lot of Spanish people (finally!) and also a big Black guy who said he felt something "right here" (pointing to his heart) when I testified to him of the Book of Mormon, Jesus Christ, Joseph Smith and faith. I told him that was the Holy Ghost confirming what I said to be true. But I think he might've misplaced it because afterward he told me I could start my own church.... mm not exactly what I had in mind. I'm just the servant of the One whose church it is...
Well, I thank you once again for your prayers, for your testimonies, for your faithfulness that I appreciate more every day, your love and support.
The mission continues to challenge, stretch, refine and tutor me.
I love you MUCHISIMO! :)
R. P.~ I finally got your letter. :)
Tuesday, September 20, 2011
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment