Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Septiembre 12

Que tal? Gracias por escribirme. Es bueno oirles siempre.

SO! Before I say anything else, I have to tell y'all about what happened yesterday!
So after church and after studies, we went out to proselyte and tried a few people who weren't home, etc. Then we got a disturbing phone call. Then we went to visit a very interesting less active. Then to dinner at the WML's house. We were late bc the LA really likes to talk ha. And because we were late to dinner, we were late leaving (we got there at 6:40 and left at 7:40 instead of 6:30 and 7:30) but that ended up being crucial.
After dinner we went to visit B, one of our investigators. He said, "Guess what I was just doing?? Reading!" and he asked about church (he wasn't there. ) and then asked a bunch of questions about it--all of a sudden he was bent on coming to church for sure this coming week. We started with a prayer and then he just kind of burst out with this experience:
He had sat down to read again (the first time he'd read in the BoM he'd prayed kinda halfway through for understanding and said it had gotten better after that, and that he felt good when he read) and this time he prayed before he started in order to understand and remember (he had a brain injury so it's hard for him to retain info). He said he then reread what he'd read before in 1 Nephi 1-3 and that he thought it was remarkable to he was able to understand and remember everything that time. He then bowed his head to thank the Lord for helping him and at that time he felt chills ("different from being cold chills") down his back and all over coupled with a warmth and extreme sense of peace. He said it was so strong and that he didn't want it to stop. So he just sat there and "enjoyed it" for about 10 minutes. Eventually it ended and he just sat there and thought about it. He wanted to share it with someone but knew anyone he told would think he was crazy. Five minutes later Sister T and I showed up.

It was so neat to hear his experience and be able to say I knew exactly what he was talking about and that it absolutely real. In our previous visits we'd explained baptism and invited him to pray about it and last night we committed him more ardently and set a date to pray about--Oct. 15. He said he would pray about it and was definitely coming to church this week and that if he kept feeling so right about these things he would be baptized. YAY!!! GOOD NIGHT!
He reminded me of my own experience(s) and of the boy I taught in Kansas City, KS-- S, whom I wrote to today--and he gained comfort and assurance knowing he wasn't the only person who'd experienced something like that.


I'm sorry you didn't mention Temple Square to that family too..
When I was in the VC in Independence, a man brought his sister and mom through and I gave them a tour. He was adamant that they go through God's Plan for His Family. He later recounted how he'd visited Salt Lake and his boss had recommended visiting Temple Square. There, he'd gone through God's Plan and remembered feeling something strong in that presentation and thinking, "I need to know if this is true or not..." and from there he met with the missionaries and was baptized. So yeah. Temple Square and Visitors' Centers are inspired and amazing resources.

Well, I'm off to print out some talks. ("The Bitter Cup and the Bloody Baptism" by Holland..... yeah sounds gorey but it's actually not and it's REALLY good)

Know that I love you all and thank you muchly for writing me!

Until next week,
Tengan cuidado,
Los amo.

No comments: