Monday, October 24, 2011

Octubre 24

Muchas gracias por sus emails. Me gustan mucho--especialmente cuando me dicen lo que aprendieron esta semana pasada. Yo aprendo de ustedes.

This week was, as always, unique and interesting and hard and awesome.
It was a bit slow teaching-wise. I love those weeks when all the new investigators you worked so hard for the week before drop you because of something someone said about Mormons from ignorance or antagonistic feelings or from the influence of politics.

Exciting news: We taught a family of 4 on Saturday morning! We found them when we had 30 minutes before our dinner appt and wanted to make good use of time. We knocked on a couple doors and talked to some people in the street, and this house just kind of stood out to me. They said we could come back Saturday and we did--with a member who used to be very active in their faith (Methodist). Good lesson and we have high hopes for them.
Also, last week when we went to an investigator's house, we met her sister-in-law who speaks very little English. We got to know her (in Spanish) but I didn't want S. T to feel left out so we started teaching in English.... then the sister-in-law left (M) before we could get her address, we just knew the street she lived on. We "were desirous that we might find her" and be able to teach her in her own tongue, and we prayed and asked the Lord to guide us to her house. And He did!! We found her and she let us in and we also met her nephew and taught both of them La Restauracion. My Spanish is rocky but after a little while it came back, plus the nephew helped me on the phrases I wasn't familiar with that I wanted to say. We're going back Wednesday with a Spanish member who LOVES having a Spanish-speaking missionary here and who loves missionary work.

We also had interviews this week with Pres. Keyes.
He informed me that Sis. T is going to be the mission's next big trainer. Who-hoo! So right now we're going through the new in-field training that Salt Lake just approved and sent out for new missionaries about 100 mph. Neither of us had this when we were being trained. I essentially had to learn this other ways--it's like an extension to PMG. But it's really good. I remember Trevor (aka Elder C) raving about it when he was in Finland. His mission president apparently had an 'in' with Salt Lake and had it in his mission sooner than anyone else. Being sister leader here has been neat. The responsibility stretches you because the only way you can be an effective leader is by already doing what you're trying to help others do and by motivating them by your love and example. I've felt how the Lord expanded me in this particular area and I believe that that is in part a result of Him knowing that more seems to be on the line as a leader, if that makes sense.

To answer your weather questions, it's pretty similar here with the weather. Very nice. I'm definitely ok with it being October 24th and 74 outside. YES! Yesterday in RS I learned how it's a sign of the times that differentiating seasons will be harder... and the ladies in there were saying how their plants are blooming again and everything's weirding out haha. But I must say, Utah is much more colorful in the fall. Kansas puts on a marvelous display of..... brown and yellow lol. All the reds and oranges are in Utah. (especially Sardine Canyon MMM!)


Remember that I love you all MUCHO and would ask you if you'd remember our investigators in your prayers.

Have a fun Halloween!!!


No comments: